TurnItIn Instructions for Faculty
Sample Syllabus Statements
To foster an atmosphere of integrity, faculty who plan to use Turnitin as a plagiarism detection tool are responsible for informing their students about how it will be used. This can easily be done with a note included in the course syllabus.
These two statements are examples of how the faculty can notify students that they are using Turnitin:
1. "Adelphi University has a license agreement with Turnitin.com, a service that helps prevent plagiarism from internet resources. All written assignments in this course will be submitted through and reviewed by Turnitin.com. Please see Adelphi's tips for students on preventing plagiarism and Student instructions for Turnitin.com for more information."
2. "Adelphi University has a license agreement with Turnitin.com, a service that helps prevent plagiarism from internet resources. I reserve the right to request an electronic copy of any written assignment submitted in this course for review through Turnitin.com. Please see Adelphi's tips for students on preventing plagiarism and Student instructions for Turnitin.com for more information."
Faculty can determine the most effective use of Turnitin. Faculty can let students see a preview of the originality report. Rather than using this service to catch students plagiarizing, faculty can use it to help students check and correct references and citations before submitting their final versions. Faculty can have all students submit papers via Turnitin or they might choose to submit suspicious documents in the presence of the student.
For further information, consult faculty tips on preventing plagiarism.
How to Access the Turnitin Service
For faculty who are using Moodle the easiest way to implement Turnitin is directly through their Moodle courses. No additional user names or passwords are required. Simply add a Turnitin assignment from the control panel.
» See step-by-step instructions on using Turnitin within a Moodle course.
Overview of Steps
If you are NOT currently using Moodle, you can still use Turnitin for your courses. The service can be accessed directly via the Turnitin.com homepage; however you will need a unique Adelphi user ID and password.
- Add a Turnitin Assignment to your Moodle Course.
- Sync the course roster.
- Have students submit their assignments.
- View originality reports for submitted assignments.
Please also see faculty tips on preventing plagiarism
For additional information and instructions, please contact:
Faculty Center for Professional Excellence
Alumnae Hall, Room 123
1 South Avenue
P.O. Box 701
Garden City, NY 11530-0701
p - 516.877.4220
f - 516.877.4229
e - firstname.lastname@example.org
This page was last modified on July 9, 2014.