The mission of the School Science Advancement Program (SSA) for Science Technology Entry program (STEP) at Adelphi University is to prepare and inspire all students from underrepresented backgrounds to enter into Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEAM) careers through collaboration with Long island school districts, organizing programs for students in grade 7-12 and offering instructional and other experimental learning opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Adelphi’s School Science Advancement Program provides academic enrichment in science and mathematics content areas to 7-12 grade students. Through a menu of classes, workshops, conferences and mentoring programs, SSA/NYSTEP empowers students to build fabulous college resumes and to improve the participation rate in mathematics, science, technology, health related fields and the licensed professions.
Contact your school guidance counselor for an Adelphi SSA/NYSSTEP application or call the Adelphi SSA/NYSSTEP director at 516.237.8622.
SSA/NYSSTEP serves secondary school students all over New York State. Students must be:
– Enrolled in grades 7-12
– New York state resident (or permanent resident alien)
– Member of a historically underrepresented group (African-American, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian or Alaskan native) OR meet income guidelines.
– Have an overall GPA of 65 or better
Saturday Academy is conducted on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Adelphi University in Post Hall.
– AP Class
– Regents review class
– Technology Robotics
– SAT preparation
– College Application preparation workshops
– Train in research methods in college laboratories
– Become prepared for regional and statewide competitions
– Attend summer programs
– Receive standardized test preparation for SAT and PSAT
– Obtain help with the entire college application process, including college visits
– Attend Long Island SSA/NYSSTEP Consortium Activities and statewide conferences
– Program for SSA/NYSSTEP parents
– Mentoring by SSA/NYSSTEP students
– Connect to businesses through field trips and mentoring
– Learn about different careers through career awareness and development activities
– Enjoy the social events and become part of a community of learners