Academic Resources

Make the most of your new beginning as an Adelphi student.

As each program has particular guidelines and requirements, students should familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures of the school and program in which they are enrolled.
At University College, academic advisers work with students to create a plan of study and assist them with creating and completing their educational goals. Admitted students are assigned an adviser and keep the same adviser until graduation. Students are also provided with an Academic Advisement Syllabus, which outlines student and adviser responsibilities.
» View the Academic Calendar

Academic Advisement

Academic Advisers

As a new student, you should contact your academic adviser during the first semester. Introduce yourself, set up a meeting and start to build a relationship with your academic adviser before registration time. Not sure who your academic adviser is? First, log in to eCampus. Under Services, click on CLASS and then click My Adviser in the left menu.
University College students who do not have an adviser should contact the University College office at 516.877.3150. Undergraduate students must declare a major when they reach 60 credits. If you do not have an adviser and have declared a major, contact your major department.
Graduate students should contact their academic department and meet with the adviser for guidance on course registration and requirements.

Pre-Professional Advisement

The Office of Pre-Professional Advising and Fellowships provides support and individual advising for current students and recent graduates who are seeking admission to professional school beyond Adelphi in the areas of medicine, dentistry, optometry, physical therapy and other health professions, as well as law, environmental studies and engineering.
Students contemplating or planning to pursue careers in law and the health professions can receive guidance from pre-professional councils established for this purpose. In addition, the office can assist in the application process for fellowships that require institutional support, and can provide information and assistance on locating funding opportunities for post-Adelphi study.

Course Registration

The Course Listing, Advising, and Student Service (CLASS) system will allow you to select your courses, and submit your registration at your appointed registration time. Important information regarding undergraduate as well as graduate priority registration dates and times can be found on the University Registrar website.

Independent Study

The purpose of independent study is to pursue an academic interest not adequately covered by the regular course offerings. Students must register for independent study during the regular registration periods and never later than the last day to drop courses. Each college and school has separate requirements concerning independent study. Information concerning these requirements is listed by school.

Academic Procedures

Rules and regulations regarding the following can be found on the University Bulletin.

  • Add/Drop
  • Unfinished Course Work—Incomplete
  • Withdrawing From Courses
  • Withdrawal For Medical Reasons
  • Academic Petitions

Academic Support Services

To support classroom studies, students have available online and in-person support services. (See the Support Services section for information about the Student Access Office and Information Technology, the Learning Center, the Writing Center and Swirbul Library.)

Moodle Course Management System

As many course assignments and instructions are communicated via Moodle, the online learning management system, students should learn how to access the system before the start of the semester. Learm how to access and use Moodle.

Graduation Requirements and Deadlines for Filing

Graduate Student Requirements
The graduate student requirements vary according to the program. Students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these requirements by visiting the department office or the appropriate website.
Undergraduate Student Requirements
Undergraduate students who have completed the minimum number of credits required by their major for graduation and attained a 2.0 cumulative GPA must apply for graduation. Majors in the Robert B. Willumstad School of Business, the College of Nursing and Public Health and the School of Social Work are required to have a higher cumulative GPA for graduation (2.3, 2.5 and 2.8, respectively). Physical education and communication sciences majors should refer to the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education section of the bulletin for specific requirements.
Note for University College Students: Students should schedule a graduation clearance appointment with their University College academic adviser before filing an Application for Graduation form. Deadlines for filing the Application for Graduation are listed in the current University College Registration Guide. (Students engaged in the prior learning process may not file for graduation until they have received their final award notice.)

For further information, please contact:

Office of Academic Services and Retention
Nexus Building, Room 145
p – 516.877.3150

Division of Student Affairs
Nexus Building, Room 303
p – 516.877.3660
e –

Apply Now
Request Information